The draw for next month’s Players Championship Finals in Minehead was confirmed following Peter Wright’s triumph in Players Championship 30 at the Barnsley Metrodome on Tuesday.
Wright followed up Monday’s record broadcast average achieved against Krzysztof Ratajski with another dominant display against ‘The Polish Eagle’ as he took the £10,000 top prize to clinch his fourth Pro Tour title of 2019 in the year’s final Players Championship event.
The 64-player field for the Players Championship Finals is comprised solely from the Players Championship Order of Merit and the draw was finalised following the conclusion of Tuesday’s action. As a result, Daryl Gurney will begin the defence of his title against Luke Woodhouse in Minehead.
Gurney picked up his second televised title by defeating Michael van Gerwen in the final at the Butlin’s Resort last year and the Northern Irishman will begin his title defence as 14th seed.
Van Gerwen ended the season 18th after only featuring in eight of the 30 events and he will take on World Championship quarter-finalist Luke Humphries in an eye-catching first round tussle.
Grand Slam champion Gerwyn Price will be top seed at next month’s event and his reward is a meeting with Mickey Mansell, whilst second seed James Wade – who has scooped five Pro Tour titles in 2019, faces Development Tour Order of Merit leader Ted Evetts.
Third seed Ratajski plays Irish ace Steve Lennon for a place in round two, with fourth seed Wright locking horns against James Wilson, who has struggled with injury for much of 2019.
Glen Durrant finished fifth on the Order of Merit after claiming two Players Championship titles in his maiden season and he collides with former BDO colleague Scott Baker – in a repeat of their clash at last year’s BDO World Championship.
Another fixture with history sees sixth seed Ian White take on Devon Petersen, in a repeat of their classic contest at last year’s World Championship. ‘The Diamond’ was the epitome of consistency on the floor this year, yet surprisingly failed to collect a title for his efforts.
World Grand Prix finalist Dave Chisnall meets Matthew Edgar in his opener, whilst eighth seed Jose De Sousa faces James Richardson, with the Portuguese sensation having won two Players Championship titles within the last month.
One of the highlights of the opening round will see UK Open champion Nathan Aspinall locking horns with five-time world champion Raymond van Barneveld – the Dutchman competing in his penultimate tournament before retirement.
Elsewhere, Mensur Suljovic has been paired against former stablemate Kim Huybrechts and Simon Whitlock will take on exciting Dutch star Jeffrey de Zwaan, who featured as a contender in this year’s Premier League.
Reigning World Youth champion Dimitri Van den Bergh plays former Lakeside world champion Stephen Bunting for a place in round two, whilst former World Youth champion Max Hopp has been pitted against another former BDO world champion Jelle Klaasen.
The seedings for this three-day event do not correspond with the world rankings, hence Rob Cross being the 42nd seed due to his limited participation on the Players Championship circuit over recent months.
One major absentee in Minehead will be 2014 winner Gary Anderson. The two-time world champion missed a large proportion of the events through injury and he was absent for the final double-header, which saw him finish 91st in the final standings.
The tournament will be broadcast live on ITV4 and worldwide through the PDC’s broadcast partners and the schedule of play will be confirmed in due course. The full tournament bracket can be viewed below.
Photo Credit: Lawrence Lustig/PDC
2019 Ladbrokes Players Championship Finals
(1) Gerwyn Price v (64) Mickey Mansell
(32) Keegan Brown v (33) Andy Boulton
(16) Mensur Suljovic v (49) Kim Huybrechts
(17) Danny Noppert v (48) Ryan Searle
(8) Jose De Sousa v (57) James Richardson
(25) Dimitri Van den Bergh v (40) Stephen Bunting
(9) Jonny Clayton v (56) Ryan Meikle
(24) Harry Ward v (41) Darius Labanauskas
(5) Glen Durrant v (60) Scott Baker
(28) Max Hopp v (37) Jelle Klaasen
(12) Nathan Aspinall v (53) Raymond van Barneveld
(21) Joe Cullen v (44) Kyle Anderson
(4) Peter Wright v (61) James Wilson
(29) Chris Dobey v (36) Cristo Reyes
(13) Jeffrey de Zwaan v (52) Simon Whitlock
(20) John Henderson v (45) Ryan Joyce
(2) James Wade v (63) Ted Evetts
(31) Steve Beaton v (34) Ricky Evans
(15) Adrian Lewis v (50) Josh Payne
(18) Michael van Gerwen v (47) Luke Humphries
(7) Dave Chisnall v (58) Matthew Edgar
(26) Justin Pipe v (39) Mervyn King
(10) Jermaine Wattimena v (55) Jamie Hughes
(23) Ron Meulenkamp v (42) Rob Cross
(6) Ian White v (59) Devon Petersen
(27) Vincent van der Voort v (38) Arron Monk
(11) Michael Smith v (54) Martin Schindler
(22) Brendan Dolan v (43) Ross Smith
(3) Krzysztof Ratajski v (62) Steve Lennon
(30) William O’Connor v (35) Steve West
(14) Daryl Gurney v (51) Luke Woodhouse
(19) Gabriel Clemens v (46) Mark McGeeney